Saturday 19 August 2017

PostCards from the USA.

Henry was thrilled to get some postcards the other day from his friend Laura who has been travelling around America.  He is excited about adding them to his postcard collection.


Do you want me to show you my postcards Peggy Sue?  Henry asks.

Yes please.  Peggy Sue replies.


This one is from Niagara Falls.  I went there last year, it was such good fun, but you get very wet!

Shall I read you what Laura writes? Henry asks Peggy Sue.

Oh yes do Henry.  Peggy Sue says.


"Dear Henry,
I've so much fun in the USA and I've been to so many places.  One of them was Niagara Falls!  We went on the Maid of the Mist boat tour like you did and it was really thrilling.  And very wet!  Love Laura xx"

Oh wow, sounds like she had lots of fun.  Peggy Sue says.

I'll show you the next one.  Henry says.


This one is from Gettysburg National Military Park.  I bet that was great fun to visit.


Laura writes:  

"Dear Henry, 
At Gettysburg we walked around town.  One house had a cannon ball stuck in the wall!  The town itself was like a museum as there were information boards everywhere telling stories of different households.  On the next day of visiting Gettysburg we went to the National Military Park where we say different places of different parts of the battle.
Love Laura xx"

Gettysburg sounds a bit like town I visited in Parkersburg back in 2013 - it was really interesting with the boards telling us about the town.  Henry tells Peggy Sue.


That postcard looks interesting Henry.  Peggy Sue observes.  Tell me what Laura writes about this place please. 


"Dear Henry,
I went to Boston!  We went through the city and inbetween all the tall buildings following a route called the 'Freedom Trail'.  We also visited Paul Revere's house.  He rode to warn the colonists about the British.  We also visited Luisa May Alcott houses and they were beautiful and very interesting.  
Love Laura xx

Wow!  Henry says.  Mum taught  the Sailor all about Boston and Paul Revere and other things when she was home-educating him. They studied American History.  I can't wait to tell him that my friend Laura has actually BEEN there when he gets home from sea!  It just have been such super fun. 

Fancy that.  Peggy Sue says.  I would have loved to have gone to see where Louisa May Alcott lived.  That would have been amazing..  

Laura gave me some souvenirs as well on Saturday.  Henry says to Peggy Sue.

Me too!  Peggy Sue says.  What did you get?



I got this model to build.  Henry shows us.


Plus some interesting information about the Wright Brothers.



Wow, Henry.  That looks like it might be quite tricky to build. Peggy Sue says.

It does.  Henry agrees.  I might wait until the Sailor comes home to see if he will help me.  He is good with models...he builds lots of Lego ones anyway.  

But that is a long wait Henry.  He isn't coming home until the end of November.  Peggy Sue explains to Henry.

Hmm...says Henry...hopefully I can wait that long...

What did you get Peggy Sue?  Henry asks.


I got these.  Peggy Sue holds them up to show them.


They are Guatemalan Worry Dolls.  Laura thought now I had a new brother I might have a few things more to worry about and that these might help. Peggy Sue tells Henry.

Why will they help?  Henry asks confused.


Well apparently if I tell my worries to the dolls and put them them under my pillow then my worries will all be gone by the morning!  Peggy Sue explains to him after she has read the little information sheet inside the package.


They are cute.

Perhaps Mum and Dad should have some of these!  Henry says.

Peggy Sue giggles... Perhaps!


They've got their own special bag to keep them in as well.  Peggy Sue says as she puts them in the little bag.  What else have you got?  

I've got this great Boston baseball.  I can't wait to play with it.

I also got given a craft kit to make up a duck on wheels.  But this didn't come from the USA, it was a craft kit from the Sasha Celebration Weekend that we were unable to attend.  Henry tells Peggy Sue.



I'm going to make this up today.  Henry says.  It shouldn't be too difficult.  DollMum writes good clear instructions.



That sounds like a good plan Henry.  Peggy Sue says as she gets out her dolls to have a play with them.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can read about Henry's visit to Parkersburg here:  USA: Parkersburg and the Historic Julia-Ann Square

His visit to Niagara Falls here:  Niagara Falls Here I Come!

Laura's adventures in the USA can be found on Doll Mum's blog here:  Doll Mum's Blog  keep checking back as she has only just started to post about them.

8 comments:

  1. How exciting getting postcards from faraway places, and those are some lovely gifts. I love the colors and patterns on Peggy Sue's new dolls. Henry's a clever boy, and I'm sure he can assemble that flyer if studies the directions.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know Henry loves his postcards and has now asked me for a post card album so he can keep them safe.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful gifts Henry and Peggy Sue got! I have been following the posts on DollMum's blog :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are thrilled with their gifts and DollMum and family had such a lovely time. It has been so interesting reading her blog posts.

      Delete
  3. Laura wrote all those postcards on the last morning when we were preparing to leave Boston, she had collected them during our trip and was determined that Henry should have an overseas stamp, so our friend very kindly posted them in the envelope for us. The flyer probably requires a pair of pliers for carefully bending the parts to fit everything together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry was thrilled to get an overseas stamp - it is so rare to get 'proper' stamps now. I think the flyer will need pliers and something that will cut metal. I thought they would just 'snap' out, but they don't.

      Delete
  4. Love 'Dear' Henry's postcard collection and hopefully it will become a family heirloom treasure in the future.
    Some really fab. gifts from Laura! Lucky you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, who knows?! Henry has an album arriving today for them.

      Delete

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment, we love to hear from you.