Thursday 3 October 2019

What's in a Name?

How do you name your dolls?  Or do you not name them?  I thought I'd write a little post about how most of my dolls get their names, starting off with my latest little doll 'Clipper' which is not quite the usual name after being asked how she came about her name.

When I started to make Clipper I wanted to try dying the fabric she was made from. I'd just finished sewing some doll bodies, and had made myself a cup of tea.  I thought why not try to soak her body parts (before being stuffed and sewn together) in some tea.  I made a tea bath for the body to go in and left to soak several hours.  She was quite dark when I first pulled her out, but the body dried to the lovely soft colour it is now.  The tea we drink is Clipper Organic Black and Clipper Organic Green Tea.  I used Black Tea for her body.  The box is green, and funnily enough although the first outfit I made for her was a purple dress, the greens definitely suit her better and hence Clipper became her name.  It was not what I intended calling her, but just what seemed to be right. 



With my other Tiny Rag dolls I have had a couple of themes running.  The first ones I made have a name relating to plants in the garden.  Heather, Ivy and Dorothy Apple.  Any subsequent dolls I make may continue this theme.  The TRDs I made while in NZ are named after my friends that live there, some of whom I have known for many many years. They gave me strength during the difficult times of this years visit.

On to my other dolls.  Generally I have found it really easy to name my dolls.  Names just come to me - perhaps as a result that I used to breed and exhibit guinea pigs so I had to come up with names for them. Some arrive with names, and I keep them with those names if they seem to suit them. Some dolls (and bears!) seem to name themselves and I don't have a choice, others it might take a while.  Those who don't get named easily, quite often don't end up staying.  Perhaps because that attachment or 'bond' as some call it isn't there. 

I have various themes running with my Sasha dolls too.  With the blondes, their names mostly start with 'S' which came with the first one being called Sasha, although there are exceptions that rule.  You can see the photos of my Sasha dolls here: Sasha Family - The Girls   Quite often I have named the Sasha dolls after the people I have bought them from.  A couple arrived with their own name, which I have kept - Everlee Rose Morgan is one example of this.  The brunettes tend to have names starting with 'M'.  This started after my first brunette 'Molly' who was named after a friend's daughter.  There are various other themes and names going on amongst the Sasha family.   Amber was named by my youngest son. 

I found the boys relatively easy to name, they have names that mean something to me in terms of friends, etc... or people and in one case a friend's dog (Connor, who is one of my 'twins) that I have known in the past. The boys and their names can be seen here: Sasha Family - The Boys

The Schoenhuts were relatively easy to name as well, although I do still have a pair that shamefully still aren't named. In fact I am a rather behind on updating their page: Schoenhut Family.  This is something I hope to do before the end of the year.  They are currently packed away so I am not sure if I have any suitable photos for their descriptions etc...  

Of course the most well known of my Schoenhuts is Peggy Sue, and she told me her name loud and clear, and there is no doubting that is exactly who she is!   

The same can be said about my Dear Henry Holiday (Gregor boy).  He too told me his name straight away.  

I of course have many other dolls, both large and small who are named, but perhaps I'll keep those for another post.  I've probably rambled on long enough.  

Feel free to ask about any names if you wish to, or tell me how (if you do) name your dolls, bears etc...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Clipper's story. I love to learn how people name their dolls.

    Here is one of my doll name stories. While I was waiting for my first Little Darling doll to be delivered, I named her Simone. When she came home, I hugged her and dressed her and pulled out the camera to take her picture.

    I said, "look here Simone," she said nothing. I said, "What is the matter, Simone?" she said nothing. I said, "okay, what is your name?" she just rolled her eyes.

    I stared at her; she stared at me. From somewhere the name Charlotte Noelle jumped into my head. I said, tentatively, "Charlotte Noelle?" She said, "yes, Mama." Thus a name was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your Little Darling doll's name and how it came about. It is funny how some seem to be quite insistent on what their name is or isn't. What a sweet story.

      Delete

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment, we love to hear from you.