Thursday 26 September 2019

My Tiny Rag Doll Swap

A friend in the USA and I decided a while back to do a Tiny Rag Doll swap.  We didn't set any deadlines as we both had other things going on.  I finally finished mine and packaged her and her clothes up ready to post on 17th September.   I've just heard she arrived today.  Always a relief to know the doll has arrived safely. 

 I wanted to make her clothes using NZ wool and fabrics as much as possible, and was quite pleased with the end result.  Her hair caused me a bit of consternation, but I wanted it to be different to any of hers and I think I achieved that.


Here she is wearing one of her little outfits.


A pair of undies to protect her modesty.


Her hair from the back.


The outfits I made:


They can be mixed and matched.



Of course she is a tea drinker, so needed to take a cup of tea and saucer along on her journey.






You can't really see her nose in the above picture!


She chose to wear this skirt and top for the journey


and added a shawl to keep her warm.

She has a bit of ‘flavour’ from New Zealand and the Isle of Wight, Hertfordshire and Northumberland.

Her variegated green t-shirt and shawl are knitted with Pure NZ Merino, Alpaca and Possum wool.

Her brown t-shirt and shawl are knitted with vintage NZ wool that my friend gave me.  It belonged to her aunt.

The variegated purple dress is knitted with Pure NZ Merino, Alpaca and Possum wool.

I think the purple shawl is also knitted with vintage wool from my friend in NZ. 

The flowery skirt is made from some fabric I bought from a charity shop in the little town near where my Mum’s home is. 

The linen skirt is made from some fabric scraps I bought from a charity shop local to me.

The orange t shirt is knitted from some wool that I was sent for my birthday and comes from Whistlebare in Northumberland and is a fine natural yarn.  I believe they have a website.

The orange skirt and the green skirt are made from some NZ cotton prints I bought in Whangarei.
 
She comes with her cup of tea and a saucer as she is a great tea drinker, and a puzzle that I bought in Kerikeri when there earlier this year.

She was sewn while I was staying in the Isle of Wight.  

Her hair was fine mohair pre-spun wool roving from NZ.  

Her shoes are made from NZ felted natural wool.



4 comments:

  1. What a cutie doll. I love her mix and match wardrobe.

    I look forward to seeing the doll that you receive from your swap mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Dorothy for your sweet comments. It is always encouraging to receive comments. It was so exciting when I received the email to say she had arrived safely. I really enjoyed putting together a little mix and match wardrobe for her. So far my own dolls wardrobes are put together far more haphazardly!

      When I receive my little doll I will definitely post photos.

      Delete
  2. Your doll is lovely and her wardrobe is magnificent. It was so interesting to read about the items and the fabrics and wool and where they came from. Your friend will have a truly wonderful gift to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nita. I think she has started to settle into her new home well. It was so exciting to hear she had arrived safely and to see the welcome home photos. I had such fun with this little project.

      Delete

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment, we love to hear from you.